About Me

About Me

When I was teen, I was on a heavy Stephen King and Peter Straub reading jag. I couldn’t get enough of these authors. Today I still have my collection of these books residing on a shelf of my bookcase. Sometime in my early twenties I became less enamored with King’s readings. I don’t know if my taste just changed or I had burned out on his style. I have to say though that The Shining by King was the first novel I read of his and my favorite out of all his books.

I then started leaning more toward suspense and thrillers and less of horror. Some of the authors I followed were Mary Higgins Clark and James Patterson. My favorite Patterson novels were The Beach House and When the Wind Blows. They were other suspense authors peppered into the mix, but this is the one genre where I mostly stuck to favorite authors.

When my children were in grade school, the Harry Potter craze was all the rage, and I was just as engrossed in reading the books as they were. I found out at that time how much I enjoyed fantasy and many young adult novels. It seemed that YA authors were more creative in many ways than most adult novel authors. My sister-in-law is a YA librarian at a high school, so she would advise or buy certain books for me to read. For young adult reads I didn’t really stick to one author, but would go off recommendations and reviews for great YA books. Yes I devoured the Twilight series, but I can’t say this was my favorite YA read. The best young adult novels I have read are Jellico Road by Melina Marchetta and The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie.

I still enjoy reading suspense and thrillers as well as many young adult books, but in the last few years, I have also started reading many gentle reads that pull at the heart strings. Again there is no specific author that I stick to, but mostly go off recommendations and reviews to select reads from this genre. Some of my favorites in this category are: Firefly Lane by Kristen Hannah, The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver, and The Memory Keeper’s Daughter by Kim Edwards.

I am not much of a non-fiction reader unless I’m forced to read it. In addition, I a little romance goes a long way in a book, so I’m not a big romance novel reader.

Sunday, February 21, 2016

Gentle Read Annotation: The Time Keeper by Mitch Albom

The Time Keeper

By

Mitch Albom

Synopsis

In this fable-like story Dor is exiled from the earth because of his obsession with time which inadvertently causes him to invent the first clock.  Dor is deemed to be Father Time and is banished to a cave to live in solitude until “Heaven meets Earth” which ends up dragging on for six thousand years.  Readers can’t help but feel the loneliness and the interminable grief that envelopes Dor with losing his wife during his last day on Earth to the centuries of solitude that loom ahead of him.  Through the years, Dor has to hear the cries of all those on Earth who are pleading for more or less time.  All the while he draws pictures on the cave walls to remember his life on Earth and keep his sanity.  When “Heaven finally meets Earth”, Dor is granted a span of time on Earth to accomplish a mission to help two people.  The first is a teenager named Sarah Lemon, who falls in love and wants time to pass quickly until the next time she can be with her boyfriend.  When she finds out that the boy has no interest in her, and she is the focal point of humiliation in her class, she becomes depressed and suicidal.  The second person is the eighty-something year old billionaire, Victor Delamonte, who is dying from cancer and seeking immortality by cryogenically freezing his body.  As the three lives intertwine, Dor as well as the other two learn about the importance of time which leaves readers with a lot to think about. 

Elements of a Gentle Read

Pacing –This is a gentle meandering story that lulls the reader into the characters’ lives with empathetic feelings.

Characterization – The characters in this novel are leading tragic existences which do not upset the plot; however, cause the reader to sympathize and relate with the characters.  These individual tragedies, which propel the characters into relationships with one another, are used to pull the story along for the greater good at the end. 

Story line – Unlike many gentle reads, each of the characters is going through a tragic situation; however, it is used to develop a moral to the story and conclude with a resolved ending. 

Frame/Tone – This story has a timeless quality in that it begins in a historical setting and gently crosses over into the present with a glance into the future.  All these time frames are used to tie the characters together and reach the moral of the story. 

Style – Although this book touches on a sexual relationship and goes to the edge of a violent occurrence, this novel’s main focus is on the straightforward feelings and emotions of the characters and their relationships with each other.      

Read-A-Likes

An Invisible Thread by Laura Schroff and Alex Tresniowski
When I found you by Catherine Ryan Hyde
For One More Day by Mitch Albom

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for your annotation. I've read most of Mitch Albom's books but missed this one and based on your description I'm definitely intrigued with the theme of time, probably because right now I'm wishing time would slow down a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like a lovely book and you've done a great job here explaining the mood for the potential reader. I know this author has a unique style and it can sometimes be hard to recommend others like him.

    ReplyDelete