About Me

About Me

When I was teen, I was on a heavy Stephen King and Peter Straub reading jag. I couldn’t get enough of these authors. Today I still have my collection of these books residing on a shelf of my bookcase. Sometime in my early twenties I became less enamored with King’s readings. I don’t know if my taste just changed or I had burned out on his style. I have to say though that The Shining by King was the first novel I read of his and my favorite out of all his books.

I then started leaning more toward suspense and thrillers and less of horror. Some of the authors I followed were Mary Higgins Clark and James Patterson. My favorite Patterson novels were The Beach House and When the Wind Blows. They were other suspense authors peppered into the mix, but this is the one genre where I mostly stuck to favorite authors.

When my children were in grade school, the Harry Potter craze was all the rage, and I was just as engrossed in reading the books as they were. I found out at that time how much I enjoyed fantasy and many young adult novels. It seemed that YA authors were more creative in many ways than most adult novel authors. My sister-in-law is a YA librarian at a high school, so she would advise or buy certain books for me to read. For young adult reads I didn’t really stick to one author, but would go off recommendations and reviews for great YA books. Yes I devoured the Twilight series, but I can’t say this was my favorite YA read. The best young adult novels I have read are Jellico Road by Melina Marchetta and The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie.

I still enjoy reading suspense and thrillers as well as many young adult books, but in the last few years, I have also started reading many gentle reads that pull at the heart strings. Again there is no specific author that I stick to, but mostly go off recommendations and reviews to select reads from this genre. Some of my favorites in this category are: Firefly Lane by Kristen Hannah, The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver, and The Memory Keeper’s Daughter by Kim Edwards.

I am not much of a non-fiction reader unless I’m forced to read it. In addition, I a little romance goes a long way in a book, so I’m not a big romance novel reader.

Sunday, March 6, 2016

The Attraction and Promotion of Graphic Novels

For young readers, I think the draw to graphic novels stems from their struggles to stay focused on topics as well as their struggles to read text-based books.  To elaborate further, young readers who have learning disabilities and attention-deficit disorders would more than likely be drawn to this type of book.  Some children are very visual and tactile, and benefit with a picture that is tied to minimal text.  Additionally, this format is a quick read, and reluctant young readers achieve a sense of accomplishment when they finish a graphic novel.  As more graphic novels are read, this could possibly launch the young reader into text-based novels.  On another note, many teens these days require instant gratification.  This is recognized with the popularity of video games and obtaining information within seconds on their laptops.  It seems logical that a teen would want a read that is more visual in nature and one that they could finish quickly.  In addition, many graphic novels correlate directly to video games making this book format even more popular among teens.  So what about the appeal of this format for adults?  As mentioned previously, the graphic novel is just a format and not a genre.  Therefore, the same genres exist as there are for text-based books.  I could say that this format might be preferred by adults who have carried learning disabilities into adulthood or the graphic novel format could be used for adults with literacy problems.  However, I think this is selling the format short.  It may be used for these purposes, but many adults appreciate this format for its art work, while others may like the art work but also the fact that it is laid out much like a film.  Many adults do not like to read in their leisure time, but they are movie buffs.  They love cinematography.  Therefore, graphic novels would fit into the scope of this preference.  Personally I would like to know more about history or government, but I detest reading non-fiction text-based books about these topics.  I would prefer to be able to pick up a graphic novel that I could get this information quickly in a fun manner with an artistic layout. 
     During an RA interview, I don’t think the graphic novel should be segregated out from the genre in which it belongs.  This format can be promoted along with other text-based novels that are geared towards the reader’s book appeal preferences.  If the reader is an avid graphic novel reader, then the RA can steer the interviewee toward this format along with the reader’s other appeal preferences for a good read (e.g. fast-paced, deep character development).  If an interviewee is required to read about a certain topic of which that reader does not care for the topic, the RA could recommend a graphic novel on the topic.  This way the reader can gain the needed knowledge in an expedited and possibly enjoyable manner.  Whatever the reader’s advisory interview entails, graphic novels should be incorporated with their appropriate genres. 

     By integrating graphic novels into an RA interview, this is an inconspicuous way of promoting graphic novels to readers.  This is especially important with adult readers since many times the stigma attached to graphic novels makes them hesitant to what to ask about this format.  Additionally for adult readers it would be beneficial to have some of the latest graphic novels on display in the library, so the fans of graphic novels will not feel intimidated to ask about them.  In the past several years, it seems that this format has been more accepted in school libraries; however, the format could always use a boost by having a colorful and inviting display to promote graphic novels in the library.  Whatever promotional method used, the main purpose is to encourage reluctant readers or graphic novel fans to feel comfortable about continuing to read books in this format.  

3 comments:

  1. I find that my library doesn't really promote graphic novels, and I wish they did. When I was teaching 8th grade, a lot of my students would do graphic novels because their reading levels were pretty low. Through graphic novels, they gained experience and confidence to bump up their reading. One thing that we had trouble with through was getting them out of their comfort zone and reading more difficult books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find that my library doesn't really promote graphic novels, and I wish they did. When I was teaching 8th grade, a lot of my students would do graphic novels because their reading levels were pretty low. Through graphic novels, they gained experience and confidence to bump up their reading. One thing that we had trouble with through was getting them out of their comfort zone and reading more difficult books.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a very interesting point about not separating graphic novels from the genre to which they belong. We do keep our separate, but partly it's because those that really want them are pretty focused on that format and like to be able to find them easily. I'm going to have to think about this more, though, as it's a good point.

    ReplyDelete