About Me

About Me

When I was teen, I was on a heavy Stephen King and Peter Straub reading jag. I couldn’t get enough of these authors. Today I still have my collection of these books residing on a shelf of my bookcase. Sometime in my early twenties I became less enamored with King’s readings. I don’t know if my taste just changed or I had burned out on his style. I have to say though that The Shining by King was the first novel I read of his and my favorite out of all his books.

I then started leaning more toward suspense and thrillers and less of horror. Some of the authors I followed were Mary Higgins Clark and James Patterson. My favorite Patterson novels were The Beach House and When the Wind Blows. They were other suspense authors peppered into the mix, but this is the one genre where I mostly stuck to favorite authors.

When my children were in grade school, the Harry Potter craze was all the rage, and I was just as engrossed in reading the books as they were. I found out at that time how much I enjoyed fantasy and many young adult novels. It seemed that YA authors were more creative in many ways than most adult novel authors. My sister-in-law is a YA librarian at a high school, so she would advise or buy certain books for me to read. For young adult reads I didn’t really stick to one author, but would go off recommendations and reviews for great YA books. Yes I devoured the Twilight series, but I can’t say this was my favorite YA read. The best young adult novels I have read are Jellico Road by Melina Marchetta and The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie.

I still enjoy reading suspense and thrillers as well as many young adult books, but in the last few years, I have also started reading many gentle reads that pull at the heart strings. Again there is no specific author that I stick to, but mostly go off recommendations and reviews to select reads from this genre. Some of my favorites in this category are: Firefly Lane by Kristen Hannah, The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver, and The Memory Keeper’s Daughter by Kim Edwards.

I am not much of a non-fiction reader unless I’m forced to read it. In addition, I a little romance goes a long way in a book, so I’m not a big romance novel reader.

Sunday, April 3, 2016

Week 12 Prompt

Readers’ Advisory Matrix

The Glass Castle

By

Jeannette Walls

1.     Where is the book on the narrative continuum?
Highly narrative (reads like fiction)

2.    What is the subject of the book?
It’s about a dysfunctional family which remained resilient through the years.  The siblings took care of one another and found it in their hearts to forgive their parents when they were older. 

3.    What type of book is it?
It’s a memoir of the author, Jeannette Wall’s,  childhood.

4.    Articulate appeal

Ø  What is the pacing of the book?
It’s fast paced at points where the father is getting the family in trouble and has to pack up and move quickly, but at other times it has a contemplating air about it.

Ø  Describe the characters of the book.
It’s a narration by the author, Jeannette Walls, about growing up with her alcoholic father, her artistic mother, and her three siblings. 

Ø  How does the story feel?
Poignant, resilient, and eventually triumphant.

Ø  What is the intent of the author?
To share her story of resilience and redemption.

Ø  What is the focus of the story?
Jeannette Wall’s dysfunctional childhood, and how she as well as her siblings broke free from poverty to become successful adults who could forgive their parents. 

Ø  Does the language matter?
Yes.

Ø  Is the setting important and well-described?
Yes.  Each place that the family had to live is well described in order to emphasize the family’s destitution. 

Ø  Are there details and, if so, of what?
Yes.  There are many details of what the family owned or the lack there of.  So detailed information of what the family had available for food and clothing, and how they handled gift giving on holidays such as Christmas.
 
Ø  Are there sufficient charts and oter graphic materials?  Are they useful and clear?
None.

Ø  Does the book stress moments of learning, understanding, or experience?
Yes.  Jeanette and her siblings understand that the only way they will get out of the impoverished environment they are in with their parents is to work, save money, and one by one pull each other out of the family home to start lives of their own and working their way up the ladder at successful jobs. 



3 comments:

  1. I have read this book a long time ago. I don't remember it being exactly what I thought it would be like. I remember the children working together and the father being a bad guy. I may have to try to read this again sometime. Nicely done!

    Jennie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have read this book a long time ago. I don't remember it being exactly what I thought it would be like. I remember the children working together and the father being a bad guy. I may have to try to read this again sometime. Nicely done!

    Jennie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have heard about this book from a good friend, she indicated that the book was really good! I like how you wrote the focus of the story adding that they were able to forgive their parents after their shortcomings. This could have helped empower them to become successful..

    Tenisha M.

    ReplyDelete